Friday, June 30, 2017

A Review of 'Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy' by Noelle Stevenson

"Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five best pals determined to have an awesome summer together... and they're not gonna let any insane quest or array of supernatural critters get in their way!"

I borrowed this book from the library because a friend of mine recently did the art for a later issue of Lumberjanes and I wanted to get to know the story before I reached her issue.  But along the way, I fell in love with the story and with these characters.

I grew up in Girl Scouts, so that is in part what endeared this story to me.  But being a Lumberjane is by and far different from being a Girl Scout.  Lumberjanes are more badass and tend to get into a little more trouble than I remember getting into as a Girl Scout.  I certainly never had to worry about being attacked by mythical creatures in the middle of Girl Scout camp!  That much I'm sure of.

I love the friendship (and in some cases more) between the girls in this story.  I love that they weren't competing with each other and any romance that you might notice in this story and purely secondary to what is happening to the girls in this book.  That was very refreshing from other books that I've read in the past where the romance is centrally located and that is what is occupying the female characters' minds.  Girls are more than lustful looks and broken hearts.  We are powerful.  We've got other things going on in our lives.

I gobbled this read up and I know that you will too.  I read this book on my Kindle and with the graphic novel view (that I just found out about), reading it there was fine, but reading it as a bound book is infinitely better.

I give 'Lumberjanes: Beware the Kitten Holy':
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!