Monday, December 29, 2014

Goals For 2015

It's almost the new year, so that means it's time to think about what changes I want to make for next year.  The following post will be blogging goals and life goals and I'll do my best to keep track of them here.

Blogging Goals

1. Read Freely.  While this is considered a book blog, this year, reading isn't going to be my top priority when it comes to this blog.  So there won't be book review posts every week like I've done this year.  I'll say more about this if you keep reading.

2. Blog More About Life.  Post pictures, stories, poems, videos... that type of thing.

3. Blog in Different Forms.  Videos, pictures, etc.

4. Read More Classics.  Keep up what progress you have.  You're probably going to need the classics when you take your GRE test someday (but right now, we don't like to think about that day).  To make this goal measurable, let's say: I will resolve to read 7 classic pieces of literature in the year 2015.  More is good, but seven is the minimum.

5. Read The Books On Your Shelves.  I have so many books on my shelves and a lot of them, I'm a little ashamed to admit, I haven't read yet.  As I read the books on my shelves at this time, I will make decisions about whether or not I will ever read that book again and either put them back on my shelf or put them in a box to sell or donate.

Life Goals

1. Write More.  In the past for NaNoWriMo, I've done written updates over the course of the month.  I want to do written updates like this every couple of weeks throughout the year.  I think this will help me develop a routine and stick to it because I'll feel like I'm answering to someone, whether that's actually true or not.

2. Develop a Routine for Exercise.  I think I'll have an okay time with this.  In the spring, I'll be living at home after I return from my Netherlands adventure.  So when I commute to school, I can check my calendar and pack not only books on a given day, but also clothes that I can get sweaty in and shoes that I can be active in.  I can make that a routine.  I should have been able to do that while living at school, but a lot of the time that didn't happen.  It's silly, because I lived across the street from the gym.  Now that won't be the case, so I'll be likely to plan going to the trip since I won't have easy access during the week nights any more.

3. Find a Study Spot and Make a Routine.  I want to find a place that's not at home where I can spend time working on my own with no distractions.  I have a desk at home, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have some trouble working there because a) it's the resting place for idle objects and b) home comes with a lot of distractions.  I'm thinking a secret place in the library will be nice.  But I'll do a thorough inspection.  I'm planning on taking a J-Term class (two days after I come home from Europe... call me crazy) so I'll have time to look without a ton of people on campus.

4. Move Into My First Off-Campus Apartment.  My significant other, Jack, and I have been talking about doing this.  We would like to move in together into an apartment that is close to both of our campuses.  We have quite a bit to figure out regarding this goal, but I'm going to keep this in mind any way.  We're going to look for places in the spring, but I think a lot of places won't let us move in until after school ends or right before the new school year will start.  I do hope this goal pans out this year.  It'll be nice to have a place of our own, to not have fire drills at 5:30 am once a semester, and to not have to move out during winter holidays or summer.  Rent will be a new thing, but I think I'm getting to a point in my life where I do want a place I can call my own.  Even a small place.

5. Make A Donation.  I've been thinking about this for a while.  I've been volunteering for a couple of years now, but I want to do more in the world.  I'm one person and I can't do too many things in the world at once.  So I want to find a charity that I can help out once a month.  I mean, my donations will be small (maybe $10-$15) each month, but it'll add up to quite a bit.  If you have charity ideas, I'm all ears.

I'm hoping for good things this year.  What are some goals that you have for yourself?

Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. Good goals. As I continue to get rid of my books, I will save any classics I have. Also, if I have anything for an apartment. I cleaned out a lot of that last year, but who knows what lurks in the corners of my basement and attic. Goals for 2015: Knee replacemet surgery, trip outside the US, clean attic and basement, finish fenceline project (5 years is long enough), and figure out where raspberries go. Lots of charities. Think about what causes you care most about - then choose. I do one environmental, one food for homeelssness, a couple arts (Ok, I listen to MPR), one housing for familise without homes and through my church) There are also groups for GLBT teens and other, various disenfranchised groups of people, literacy, etc. Look forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!