Thursday, June 12, 2014

Predeparture: Start Learning Dutch

One of my goals is to learn (some) Dutch while I'll abroad in the Netherlands.  But I don't want to be a blank slate as soon as I set foot in Amsterdam, I want to be able to say some useful phrases or at least have a very basic understanding of how the language works.  So here are some things that I've been doing to start learning Dutch:

1. Listening to Dutch Speakers on CDs.  I got a set of CDs that's supposed to help you learn the basics of Dutch and eventually master it.  I think my CDs are intended for people traveling to the Netherlands on business, which is unfortunate, because while I'll make transactions in businesses (buying food, probably making an IKEA run, buying a bike and a phone, etc.), that's the extent of my involvement in business.  I don't need to know how to run a board meeting in Dutch.  The CDs are helpful, but they haven't been my go-to method of starting out in Dutch.

2. Watching and Listening to Dutch speakers on YouTube.  There's a book-tuber that I absolutely adore (who responded to me via GoodReads, which I was really excited to see!  She gave me great tips about the Netherlands and Dutch people.  I'm eternally grateful) who happens to be Dutch.  She's great to listen to when she speaks Dutch because she speaks slowly and enunciates so that I can hear practically every letter.  That's exactly what I want!





3. Listening to Music in Dutch.  I've had trouble finding authentic Dutch music that isn't considered traditional, but a lot of the movie music that I like in English, I've also been able to find in Dutch!


Laat Het Los (Let It Go) as sung by Willemijn Verkaik has been a favorite lately.  I love that this is a lyrics video because I can see the word, I can hear it, and since I love to sing, I can say the words almost up to the speed Willemijn has set.  Willemijn has also played Elphaba from Wicked three times in English, German, and Dutch.  She's my hero.







I currently don't have close relationships with anyone who is Dutch, so this is what I do to practice without having a speaking partner!

Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on picking up Dutch! It sounds like a really cool language and sometime after your trip, I hope that you can speak some Dutch to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!