Monday, June 2, 2014

A Review of 'Number the Stars' by Lois Lowry

"Ten-year-old Annemarie Johansen and her best friend Ellen Rosen often think of life before the war.  It's now 1943 and their life in Copenhagen is filled with school, food shortages, and the Nazi soldiers marching through town.  When the Jews of Denmark are 'relocated,' Ellen moves in with the Johansens and pretends to be on of the family.  Soon Annemarie is asked to go on a dangerous mission to save Ellen's life."

For a long time, I thought I had read this book, but I'm not sure that I have anymore.  Glad I read it now!

It's nice to get a look at what it was like during World War II in a place that isn't Germany or Poland.  Honestly, when I think WWII, I don't think of Denmark, even though they're right on top of Germany, geographically speaking.

I liked that this book provided information on what happened to those who weren't Jewish and living in the vicinity of Nazi Germany and also talked about what European Jews were going through at the time.  This was a well-rounded reading experience.  Great for those who are being introduced to what the Holocaust was for the first time.  There's tension of course, but it can't be categorized as horror.  That's why it's a good starting place.

I give 'Number the Stars':
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this book as a class in 3rd grade. I don't really remember much about it, might re-read.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!