Monday, June 16, 2014

A Review of 'The Lost Boy' by Greg Ruth

"Nate's not happy about his family moving to a new house in a new town.  After all, nobody asked him if he wanted to move in the first place.  But when he discovers a tape recorder and note addressed to him under the floorboards of his bedroom, Nate is thrust into a dark mystery about a boy who went missing many, many years ago.  Now, as strange happening and weird creatures begin to track Nate, he must partner with Tabitha, a local girl, to find out what they want with him.  But time is running out, for a powerful force is gathering strength int he woods at the edge of town, and before long Nate and Tabitha will be forced to confront a terrifying foe, and uncover the truth about the Lost Boy."

I went to a mini book convention that took place on my college campus.  I got a book called Journey there as well.  I finally got around to reading this one after having a dry spell with graphic novels.

My favorite part of this book was the illustrations.  I'm not sure how to describe what they're like, so here are a few examples (click the pictures for larger views):

It's like a cross between a photograph and fantasy.  I'm not sure if I can explain it better than that.  No matter what the explanation is, I really like the style.

But there's still a story to be told alongside these images.  I think the story has potential, but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.  I don't think, any way.  The overall story is an intriguing one.  I like the idea of a tape recorder being left in the floor filled with clues.  I like the idea of small animals and insects being the go-between for humans and this magical land.  What I didn't like was how there were a few parts that took me by complete surprise.  Like, there was no lead-up to what would happen next.  I was in the control of the author and I didn't like that.  When it comes to books, I want a chance to be able to figure out what happens next.  There were no clues as to who this tree guy was that kept popping up randomly.  I would have read a longer graphic novel if it meant that those loose ends could be tied up a little more.

That being said, I'll be keeping my copy mainly for the illustrations and also for the rare gold nugget in the story itself.

I give 'The Lost Boy':
Thanks for Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!