Monday, April 15, 2013

A Review of 'Watchmen' by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

"This Hugo Award-winning graphic novel chronicles the fall from grace of a group of super-heroes plagued by all-too-human failings.  Along the way, the concept of the super-hero is dissected as the heroes are stalked by an unknown assassin.

One of the most influential graphic novels of all time and a perennial bestseller, WATCHMEN has been studied on college campuses across the nation and is considered a gateway title, leading readers to other graphic novels such as 'V for Vendetta,' 'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns' and 'The Sandman' series."

Spring Break has been a good week for finishing books!

But I am angry with this book (graphic novel) and I'll tell you why:  Philosophical questions are hard.  Especially when they're about humanity and even more so when you're apart of humanity.

Don't get me wrong, this was a very well-written, visually interesting, and thought-provoking graphic novel.  It's well-worth the read, though if this is your first graphic novel, it might be hard to cope with.  But it's worth working up to!  When I say that I'm angry with it, that just shows how engaged I was with the end.  I know that I need to read it again because I missed so much.  I need to read it in a shorter span of time as well.

Here is the question that really bothered me and one that I hope we never have to make a decision on: Is it better to lose millions of lives to save billions or to take chances on humanity in the event that nuclear war could occur?  I had so much trouble with this question because no matter what you do, there are a lot of people at risk.  And that's a scary thought.  I was mad when one person decided to make this decision alone.  This one person had a plan and it ultimately worked, but I am (still) upset that he took humanity into his own hands.  What right does he have?  He should NOT have that much power!

I would have been vaporized by Dr. Manhattan.

The ending was difficult for me because I believe in humanity more than I probably should.  I know that there is evil present in this world (it's ubiquitous in the news across time), but I still can't help but feel that people are ultimately benevolent (you remember that I am in love with Henry David Thoreau).  So to make the decision to kill off millions of people when I believe that they are ultimately capable of working through this huge problem and fear just makes me livid.

Aside from the anger I feel towards the ending, the visuals were great.  I love how there were many subplots going on and more most if not all of those subplots, it was pretty easy to see how they connected to the main plot.  It was really cool-- my inner fan girl was convulsing with joy.

This is a great read if you're in the mood to grapple something difficult, if you'd like to read one of the most renowned graphic novels of all time, and if you're ready to engage your friends in philosophical discussion afterwards.

I give 'Watchmen':
Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!