Monday, May 14, 2012

Movie Time! 'Rear Window'

"As his broken leg heals, wheel-chair bound L.B. Jefferies (James Stewart) becomes absorbed with the parade of life outside his window and soon fixates on a mysterious man whose behavior has Jefferies convinced a murder has taken place.  Meanwhile, other windows reveal the daily lives of a dancer, a lonely woman, a composer, a dog, and more.  Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter, and Wendell Corey co-star in this Alfred Hitchcock-helmed classic."

I think this is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies so far.  It was much scarier than Vertigo purely because it centers on something that many of us can probably identify with whether we choose to voice it or not: looking or spying when we know it's probably not okay to do so.

What made it really suspenseful was you couldn't always see what was happening.  Maybe a character had to go downstairs (through the rest of the apartment building) in order to inspect something.  Maybe another character wanted their privacy and they pulled the shades.  That was one of the main neat things about this movie-- the set!  Everything needed to be so precise and relatively different from each other, since there were a number of different sets-- in many apartments).

I thought James Stewart was really good in this movie as he was in Vertigo.  The other actors were new to me, so I can't speak in comparisons, though I can say that I thought they did well in their roles-- especially the lady that comes to help L.B. Jefferies every day.  She was just a hoot!

Overall, an awesome, classic movie for the ages!

You will like this movie if you are a fan of Hitchcock, like a good and suspenseful movie, and enjoy classic films in general.

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

1 comment:

  1. I love Grace Kelly's outfits in this film so much-she is so lovely! While it's not among my favorite Hitchcocks, it's still an excellent film and I love watching it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!