Saturday, May 12, 2012

Friday Memes for the Weekend!

Hello and welcome to Friday!

Follow Friday, TGIF, The Blog Hop, and Let's Talk are brought to you by Parajunkee, Ginger @ GReads, Jennifer @ Crazy-for-Books, and Melissa @ i swim for oceans.  

This Sunday in the U.S. is Mother's Day.  In celebration, what are some of your favorite books with strong mother/child relationships?

This was really hard to think of, but I think I've come up with one.  "Annie John" by Jamaica Kincaid.  This book is all about a girl and her mother.  It covers the excellent times they had and the not-so-excellent times.  Even though they end up growing apart to a certain degree, their bond is still very strong.

We tend to gush over those main characters the most, but what about those supporting roles?  What are some of your favorites?
Quigley Quagmire from "A Series of Unfortunate Events."  He isn't a huge part of the books, but I thought that it was really neat that he liked cartography and was able to use this interest and talent of his to help the Baudelaire's.  Actually, any of the Quagmire triplets.  Especially the girl who wrote couplets.

What is your favorite book character?  I give you a maximum of two choices, but they have to be from different genres!
My favorite book character is Hermione.  I love the fact that she is incredibly intelligent and clever.  I love how she blossomed in the series and became a really strong female character-- Hermione is just amazing!

What books can you think of that have covers better than the content and vice-versa?

 Again, this was another really difficult one to decide on.  I thought Tears of a Tiger by Sharon Draper had a nice cover, but it was a story that I didn't particularly enjoy.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was a beautiful story and it blossomed into a series that I could have read all day.  The downside, the cover isn't terribly exciting.  Read the synopsis in the dust jacket!  It means so much more than the covers!


So, these are my answers to these questions.  What are yours?  Feel free to leave your answers below or leave your web address below and I'll surely stop by and give your blog a little love!

Have a lovely weekend!  I have a graduation (not mine... that's later) to go to at this point in time!

--Jude

4 comments:

  1. Haven't read of that book! For me I chose Hex Hall because I love Sophie & her mom.

    My follow friday. Please visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked Hermione too! My hop response

    I totally agree with you on the Sisterhood cover.. I teach middle school and not a SINGLE girl ever gravitates to the series and I think the cover is totally to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great answers! new follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and fantastic responses, Jude! I really need to read the Sisterhood books. :)

    New to your blog!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!