Thursday, March 1, 2012

Movie Time! 'Star Wars Episode1: The Phantom Menace'

"In this Star Wars prequel, jedi Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) must protect Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman) from the evil clutches of Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid).  Along the way, they meet Anakikn Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), a child who shows intimations of a great gift.  Terence Stamp and Samuel L. Jackson so-star amid spectacular CGI scenery in director George Lucas's sci-fi epic."

To be honest, before I started the movie, I wasn't expecting to see a very good movie.  But I pressed on because I've grown up with the original three Star Wars movies, not to mention that I have seen the two most recent prequels (not including any of the cartoon versions).  But I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this was a decent movie.  The light-saber fights were exciting (I love Darth Maul's two-handed light-saber.  It's pretty ingenious) and the Pod-Racing caused a bit of an adrenaline rush in me as I watched it.  I kept getting scared that little Anakin Skywalker was going to take a wrong turn and impale himself on a mountain on Tatooine.

Amidala's costumes were beautiful in a really strange and flashy way.  That's one thing that I've always loved about the Star Wars movies.  That and the hair of the women.  I wonder how much hairspray and/or false hair was involved in the most unique hairstyles.

I wish that there had been more action from Qui-Gon.  He seemed to act as the wise man until the end and then all of that just... stopped.  Qui-Gon was the Legolas of the Jedi.  He totally deserves a bigger part in the series.

Compared with the other Star Wars films, this isn't the greatest one, but it was still a great film to set up everything that comes afterwards and it will not disappoint.

Thanks for Reading!

--Jude

P.S. Jake Lloyd is freaking adorable in this movie!  I want him to be my little brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!