Friday, December 2, 2011

Happy Friday!

Hello and welcome to Friday!

TGIF and Follow Friday are brought to you every Friday by Ginger @ GReads and Parajunkee.


Writing Reviews 101: What's your process for writing book reviews?  Any tips or suggestions you would recommend to other bloggers?

I'll break this down into steps to keep it relatively short (or at least to prevent a wall of words).

1. Copy the synopsis from the inner flap/back of the book into my notebook.  Continue to write down thoughts right under it (I write everything in a notebook first so that I can carry it with me and keep writing whenever I have a free moment)
2. Transcribe what I wrote on paper to a blank post on blogger (it's so inefficient, but I can't be bothered).
3. Quickly edit and add in embellishments (you know, like the bold effect or italics... maybe even underlining things-- "Oh no she didn't!")

This works for me and it's a good way to filter and edit what I want to say before I actually say it.  I can write whatever I want, but then I'll take those thoughts and feelings down a couple of notches before I actually post it for you to read.


What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books?  Maybe you don't like love triangles or thin plots?  Tell us about it!

I've found that I'm super picky about the writing style.  I hate walls of words (though, I will admit, there are one or two exceptions) or when an author decides not to capitalize letters despite the context they're in.  As a writer myself, it's very distracting and hard not to take a giant red pen and correct everything.  It's a blessing and a curse.

Overused plots are kind of annoying too.  If you haven't read a certain kind of plot for a while, it's nostalgic, but if a certain author or a group of authors use the same basic plot over and over again, it's just bad.  For example: girl falls in love with a vampire, boy ALWAYS gets the girl, two girls fight over one boy... that kind of thing.  Cliches, really.

Welp, that's it for me!  If you'd like me to stop by for a visit, feel free to leave your web address in comment form below and I'll try my best to come and visit this weekend!

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

4 comments:

  1. Weird spelling and punctuation always sets my nerves on edge! It's like I develop a tick, because my brain wants to correct it every time I see it mentioned. And I completely agree about overused plots - I'm finding almost everything I'm picking up lately is the exact same thing over and over!

    New follower :)

    Follow Me Friday @ Radiant Shadows

    Don't forget to check out my 100 Followers Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAH. The cliché vampire plot! I hate that!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate those too... love triangle... i hate it if love triangle is the only conflict of the story tooo cheesy for me

    found you thru the hop and now following you.

    iamjenai
    http://bookinglyyours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of plots are overused. It helps when an author is creative enough with their story that it doesn't seem like a cliche. I can certainly fogive a lot if the storyline is interesting and different enough.

    New Follower!
    Sandra
    Waiting For Wentworth

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Comment away!