Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Review of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' by J.K. Rowling

"'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' contains five richly diverse fairy tales, each with its own magical character, what will variously bring delight, laughter, and the thrill of mortal peril.


Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and Wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts.


A uniquely magical volume, with illustrations by the author, J.K. Rowling, that will be treasured for years to come."

I've been wanting to read this one for a while-- and now I finally have!

It was interesting to see something written by Jo Rowling that was set in the Wizarding World but not centered around Harry.  As much as I love J.K. Rowling, it was nice.  I really hope that she decides to write something else because that will undoubtedly be an interesting read as well as comparison.

In this little book, there are five stories, only one or two of which Harry Potter fans will be familiar with (for sure one, if you're read 'Deathly Hallows').

I liked that even though these were Wizarding morality tales (meant for non-magical folk as well), the stories held nothing back.  there was death, there was gore, there was a little bit of history, there were Wizards, Muggles... everything was there.

Dumbledore's notes were interesting (and modest...) and they really added to what the stories were saying.  It broadened my scope of the Wizarding World, which is always pretty neat.

J.K. Rowling's artwork was also really cool.  I had forgotten that she was a bit of an artist herself (I can't remember where I heard that... probably a YouTube video).

A must-read for the die-hard Harry Potter fan!  Though it is also geared towards readers who might not be as familiar with the bigger story that is the Harry Potter series.

I give "The Tales of Beedle the Bard":

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

P.S. I'm slowly working into the reviews again!  Hurray!  I'm glad this hiatus wasn't any longer.  Thanks for bearing with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!