Monday, February 21, 2011

A Review of 'Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worse Dog' by John Grogan (Audio Book)

"Number one on the New York Times best-seller list, Marley & Me by Philadelphia Inquirer columnist John Grogan is the hilarious yet touching memoir of 'life and love with the world's worst dog.' Marley's unruly behavior, fierce loyalty, exuberance for life, and the unconditional love leave a lasting impression.

Despite pledging that they would just look, newlyweds John and Jenny fall in love with a Labrador retriever puppy, just a cute, tiny bundle of fur-- at first. Marley soon grows to mammoth proportions (97 pounds) and brings with him slobber and destruction. Marley's not perfect-- he's kicked out of obedience classes and he loses control during daily Florida thunderstorms-- yet he's always there for John and his blossoming family. Whatever the end result, Marley's intentions, and the lessons he teaches are pure.

Inspired by a column commemorating Marley's life, John Grogan's story about his dysfunctional dog will appeal to everyone. Listeners can not help but laugh out loud at Marley's antics through Johnny Heller's lively narration."

For a while, I've been stuck on the first CD because every time I attempted to listen, I would get distracted by something else. Luckily, I had a four-day weekend and I was able to turn everything off and listen while taking care of a few other things. That's one thing that's nice about audio books-- completely hands-free!

As I was taking care of online gym assignments and to-do lists, I laughed along with what was happening in the book-- Johnny Heller's accents when the occasions arose (that's another thing I like about audio books!), "Boca-hontas," Marley's run-ins with thunderstorms... it was hilarious!

Aside from the funny parts, John Grogan could also appeal to a more sentimental side-- his love for his dog and his family was the driving force throughout the book. Even when it wasn't what he was currently talking about, these things were always there in the wings of the stage.

I believe that anyone who picks up this book (or audio book) will find something that they like.

I give 'Marley and Me':
This is the first audio book that I had finished. I will not put this in the side bar and I'll choose my next audio book!

Also, next weekend, I'll finish up my February LONTEM project and I will post it here. Until then, have a wonderful week!

Thanks for reading!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!