Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Mid-Week Check-In

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty much half-way through my second week of school it's going pretty swell. I have gained so much respect for my English teacher because she liked Mystery Science Theater 3000 and we might take a day or two to watch a few episodes! If you are not familiar with MST3K, they are available on Netflix for instant play. I hope you don't mind for hilarious commentary on severely bad movies!

Everything is going great when it comes to preparing for our concert in a month. I feel like
I'm doing an okay job at keeping up with everyone else in the group, which is my top concern. I'm not trying to be the top player-- to be honest, that would be quite an endeavor, because there are a few people that have been playing their instruments since birth (practically) and other people that started when I did, but they were more devoted to playing and performing than I was at that age. In a nutshell, I'm just trying to stay afloat.

Now, let's step away from school for a few minutes...

Outside of school, I continue to read (and also write reviews for those books). I'm working on 'The Lovely Bones' right now. I made the mistake and watched the movie before I read the book, so now I'm going to make up for my mistake (sort of) and still read the book. You'll see that review in at least a couple weeks. I'm busy, but I do try and read for at least one hour a day, so I do make daily progress.

I'm also writing.

A few years ago (we're coming in on three years!), I wrote a story called 'Murder by Rulers.' Since then, I have re-written it several times and submitted it to a national contest (nothing came of that contest, but it was national. There are hundreds of thousands of writers out there!). Now, I'm back to the drawing board... or, part-way. I'm trying to do a complete re-write.

One day, I looked down at one of the few hard copies that I've printed out. I opened it up, and can you guess what I saw as soon as I opened up to a random page? You've got it.

A typo.

The horror! I did a silent groan to myself and then I picked it up to see what other kind of damage had occurred. I read a short part and I thought of a couple things I could change about that part. That's when I decided that instead of editing, I would continue editing, but take entire pages and rewrite them. Make them better and more current. Of course, they'll never be perfect, but they can be improved.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I really appreciate it.

--Jude

P.S. The picture above is supposed to portray concentrated writing. I apologize for the crappy quality, it was taken with my web cam. Plus, it's totally staged :)

P.P.S. I feel like I learned something in algebra. I was able to teach my little sister about SOH CAH TOA and have it make a little bit of sense. I feel very accomplished!

3 comments:

I love your comments! Comment away!