Friday, August 20, 2010

A Review of 'A Kiss in Time' by Alex Flinn

This is what it says on the back of the book. I’m not sure if it counts as a description, but if I can find a better one the following will definitely be replaced:

“I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic…

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched the tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was not what I had in mind.

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger’s soft kiss.

I couldn’t help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn’t know this would happen.

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, say I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner!

Now I’m stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels… The good news: My parents will freak!

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?”

I don’t think this description does this book justice. This description makes this amazing and extraordinary book seem petty and ridiculous. And it’s anything but!

If you are familiar with the story of ‘Sleeping Beauty,’ you know the underlying plot. But Alex Flinn is so amazing that she puts a modern twist on these modern fairy tales (read my review of ‘Beastly’ if you are curious about another of her modern fairy tales). This story made me laugh, it made my heart break at times. At first, it started out with this really self-centered princess, Talia, who was gifted with beauty, intelligence, and musical talent by fairies at birth. Then you meet Jack, this typical teenage guy who appears to have no interest in anything other than to party and get in another girl’s pants (or, at least he would if he wasn’t still trying to get over his ex-girlfriend, Amber, who is a complete and utter shallow jerk-wad).

It was really exciting to watch as it became more apparent that Talia actually had a heart (I didn’t think I’d like her as I started reading it) and that Jack really did have an interest (in her and when it comes to his future).

It was really interesting to read Talia's innocence when it came to the 21st century. She fell in love with french fries (for a not really funny scene, I did let out a laugh, because I heard her with a precious French accent (even though she was from Belgium) saying, "I love french fries!") and she had a drunken experience... just read the book. I don't want to give everything away and ruin it for you!

I strongly recommend this book. It’s not exactly what you would call a quick read, but I was able to finish it in about two days (because it’s just that good!). So go to your local library and pick it up! Also, read Alex Flinn’s other books. They’re just as amazing!

--Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!