Sunday, August 1, 2010

Movie Time! 'Charlie St. Cloud'


I just saw ‘Charlie St. Cloud’ today with my mom and my sister. I think this is my first movie review, so here we go!
I’ll do what I do with my book reviews and quote someone else’s description of it (mostly because I suck at writing summaries). I’ll also do something different and put the trailer here above the summary that I found.
Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk. Then, a girl comes into Charlie's life and he must choose between keeping a promise he made to Sam, or going after the girl he loves.” Written by CBlodg.
By clicking on ‘Charlie St. Cloud’ in the very first sentence, you will be led to the original page where you can learn more about the movie.
In the beginning, it was quite sad because that’s when Charlie lost his little brother, Sam in a car accident… an accident where Charlie was almost killed as well. He had made a promise to Sam that they would meet at the same place every day at sunset and they would play catch. This means that Charlie gives up a sailing scholarship, college, and a love life to be with his dead brother. Huh… I guess I just repeated the summary I gave you. Sorry about that!
I would have loved to have a good cry during the beginning because it really… sad just isn’t an accurate world. I mean, we were watching Charlie’s world come crashing down. It was horrible.
It made me a little angry that Charlie didn’t just go to college and move on after that, but I had to sit back and remind myself that what happened to him was traumatic and it would be extremely difficult to get past.
I thought Charlie’s relationship with Tess was very sweet. I love a good romance. Call me a sap. It felt like everything was moving very quickly, but it was beautiful nevertheless.
The only part that I found frustrating was once I saw Sam (after he was killed) I thought everyone around Charlie was also dead. Why is this? The dead appeared like they do in The Sixth Sense. They look normal and they wore the clothes they died in. The only difference is, they didn’t have any marks on them showing how they died (like in The Sixth Sense).
Ever since I watched High School Musical, I was not a big fan of Zac Efron. But because of this movie, I have gained a little respect for him. I never realized how beautiful his eyes were :D. When he’s not singing and dancing, I can take him a little more seriously.
I recommend this movie. 3.5 stars (out of a possible 5). If you have a couple hours, go ahead and see it. I would definitely not recommend this for littler kids (it’s a PG-13 movie for Pete’s sake!). I think I will have to pick up the book at some point.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news, I am still working on that unnamed story. I have not finished chapter 3 yet. And even if I did, I couldn’t post it tomorrow because I will be pretty busy. I will hopefully have mastered the Metro Transit system in the next week! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Comment away!